We started the week with our usual Monday morning breakfast and decided on our goals for the week. After the breakfast I started working on creating the models and migrations for Lessons and Practices. I spent an hour planning the initial database structure and then went on to create the models, associations and migrations.
The first thing I did on Tuesday
was cleaning up the database model as there were a couple unused attributes. I then went on and re-organized my
as it was getting a little unwieldy with the new models. Me and a few other learners also got interviewed by @e_w
about our Hackership experience. The interview videos will be part of a short video about the first Hackership batch. I also gave the shoulda
Gem a try. This is a gem that allows for easy testing of model associations.
Once my tests were green, I started working on my Anki cards collection. When I started with Hackership, I wanted to see how spaced repetition could improve my learning. I started taking notes of things that I looked up again and again. One example would be unpacking bzip and gzip files on Linux:
tar xvjf files.tar.bz2
- I had a really hard time remembering the arguments until I put it into my Anki collection.
On Wednesday I had to make up for not writing enough tests in the previous two days. I started learning more about FactoryGirl and also installed the database_cleaner Gem. Then I wrote some tests for a couple helper methods I’ve written before. We also had a 2 hour long Rails Q&A session where we talked about concerns and the devise Gem.
I did get everything done that I had planned for this week. I also went to the Ruby Meetup on Thursday and met a lot of new people. Next week I’m going to work on displaying errors the user makes and jumping to specific lessons.
All Hackership Batch 0 posts: