App Services are used to provide PaaS type offerings with Microsoft controlling items such as deployment slots, load balancing, backups and operating system patches, with the consumer focusing on the IIS instance.
App Services are quite appealing to customers as it allows them to pass over the infrastructure elements to Microsoft enabling them to deal with managing and maintaining their websites.
So the question is, how do I know if my website is ready to become a Microsoft Azure App Service? This is where the Azure App Service Migration Assistant Tool comes into play. It scans the IIS server and determines readiness for migration to Microsoft Azure including:
- Websites running on the IIS server.
- Applications and virtual directories configured under each site.
- Application pools used by the sites and applications and their settings.
- HTTP and HTTPS bindings used by the sites.
- Databases defined in web.config using connectionString attribute.