Hackership Week 3

Datetime:2017-03-27 06:29:46         Topic: CoffeeScript  Ruby on Rails  Front-end Development          Share        Original >>
Here to See The Original Article!!!

This week was a little bit less about rails and more about front-end stuff. I needed to get some Ajax to work. And that proved to be very difficult. Especially considering that I didn’t know in what form rails is expecting PATCH data.

On Monday I continued working on the sign-in and sign-out system for the touch-typing website. Once I was done with that, I had to update the user model to include a new column which stores the WPM of users. The Rails guide for migrations was pretty useful to get that done. In the evening it was time to get to know our Hackers in residence.

Tuesdaystarted off with a very insightful blogging workshop from @laurawadden and @sheley . After the blogging workshop, it was time for the Rails Q&A led by @freenerd . We talked about validations and associations . After Hackership it was time for Berlin Hack and Tell .

On Wednesday one thing I was trying to figure out was: What exactly Rails is expecting from an Ajax request? I spent a lot of time in the development.log and tried to solve various errors. Eventually I got it working with the help of Ben. Once I got it working I was able to make a lot of progress. The WPM of a user is now automatically submitted once the lesson is finished.

Thursdaystarted in the evening for me. I mainly did some CoffeeScript refactoring. Here are some interesting resources I found helpful:

js2coffee.org

This is a CoffeeScript to JavaScript converter. I used it to covert my original JavaScript to CoffeeScript.

Smooth CoffeeScript - Interactive Edition

Smooth CoffeeScript is an interactive book on CoffeeScript. I found the chapter on Functional Programming really interesting.

The Little Book on CoffeeScript

This book contains a very helpful section on the syntax of CoffeeScript and also a short introduction to Classes.

Fridayis not an official Hackership day, but there was a lot of interest in an Arduino Workshop. So, we started at 12. Since there was an Arduino Workshop the previous Friday which I didn’t attend, I had to setup my environment first which went surprisingly smooth. Making the LED’s blink was just a matter of about half an hour. I didn’t stop at making one LED blink. There was a very difficult practice which required a lot of conncetors and resistors. Making sure that everything is connected correctly was not an easy task. The task was to create an LED array to display a certain image. The image was set in a 2D array in the source file. This was a really fun exercise and eventually I got it to work, yay!

That’s it for the third week of Hackership. Next week I’m going to work on the database model and some CoffeeScript refactoring.

All Hackership Batch 0 posts:








New