Results of the 2016 Apache CouchDB Survey
The responses from the 2016 survey on CouchDB have been collected and sorted and you can review the executive summary of responses , as well as the raw collected data . Many thanks to Simone Haas and Jan Lehnardt for their fantastic work on this!
On dependency management and CI issues associated with it (see thread )
In this discussion Ilya Khlopotov has suggested some potential changes to the workflow to account for CI failures and other issues with outdated dependencies. Other folks have chimed in with responses so it’s a thread worth reviewing.
[Proposal] Change etag calculation (see thread )
Garren Smith is proposing that the etag is generated from the body of the response (typically the document), _rev and attachments for consistency and to account for the fact that the etag would change when a document has changed.
Releases in the CouchDB Universe
- beanbag 4.6.0 (Node) – Generic CouchDB driver built upon the teepee module
- fauxton 1.1.0 (Node) – Fauxton is a modular CouchDB dashboard and Futon replacement.
- grunt-couch 1.5.1 (Node) – Compile CouchDB design documents from Couchapp like directory tree
- jwt-couchdb 1.1.1 (Node) – JWT endpoint to authenticate users and create JSON Web Tokens out of the CouchDB’s session API
- node-couchdb-plugin-memcached 0.0.2 (Node) – node-couchdb plugin to store cache inside Memcached
- node-red-node-cf-cloudant 0.2.15 (Node) – A Node-RED node to access Cloudant and CouchDB databases
- revtree 1.0.0 (Node) – Visualise a CouchDB document revision tree
- spicy-action 5.8.0 (Node) – HTTP(S) proxy and Socket.IO relay for CouchDB and others
- pouchdb-asyncstorage-down 0.3.7 (Node) – PouchDB with async storage
- pouchdb-event-store 1.1.5 (Node) – event store on top of PouchDB
- pouch-redux-middleware 0.2.0 (Node) – Redux Middleware for syncing state and a PouchDB database.
- pouchdb-subscribe 1.0.1 (Node) – Synchronous document look up for PouchDB
- react-native-pouchdb 0.0.4 (React) – Hacky way to run PouchDB in react-native
- scalajs-pouchdb 2016.4.0 – Scala.js wrapper for pouchdb
Opinions and other News in the CouchDB Universe
- [POST] Hypermedia APIs with Apache CouchDB , Benjamin Young
- [LIST] Most popular NoSQL database 2015 , I’mProgrammer.net
… and in the PouchDB Universe
- [POST] Introducing the Cordova SQLite Plugin 2 – better native Cordova SQLite interface (compatible with PouchDB) , Nolan Lawson
- [REQUEST] Dale is looking for feedback on the `idb-next` adapter – a modernized version of PouchDB’s IndexedDB adapter , Dale Harvey
CouchDB Use Cases, Questions and Answers
- CCouchConnect – This is a simple PHP CouchDB cURL Wrapper, for basic CRUD commands in CouchDB.
- couch-box – Asymmetric encrypted CouchDB documents, powered by NaCl’s curve25519-xsalsa20-poly1305.
- CouchDB search by keyword and filter by date at a same time
- Copy CouchDB attachments to Amazon s3 using Nodejs
- CouchDB -gt: unexpected operator
no public answer yet:
- Authenticating a CouchDB user against an external server
- Can I use a CouchDB update function to generate unique IDs for a database?
- Is there a CouchDB API that I can use to validate a user’s password?
- Query for locations within a given radius in CouchDb / geocouch
- How to disable http access in CouchDB
PouchDB Use Cases, Questions and Answers
- noteme – a clone of OSX’s Notes app for Ubuntu and Windows, using PouchDB and Electron
no public answer yet:
- PouchDB(SQLite) + Ionic basics?
- PouchDB Error: Adapter is missing in Node.js
- How to replicate to and replicate from to remote databases, PouchDB to Couchbase
- PouchDB CouchDB synchronisation
- No storage limits using PouchDB + Cordova-sqlite-storage?
- Android/Desktop Browser: CORS in PouchDB based App
If you want to get into working on CouchDB:
- We have an infinite number of open contributor positions on CouchDB. Submit a pull request and join the project!
- Do you want to help us with the work on the new CouchDB website ? Get in touch on our new website mailing list and join the website team! – firstname.lastname@example.org
- The CouchDB advocate marketing programme is just getting started. Join us in CouchDB’s Advocate Hub !
- CouchDB has a new wiki . Help us move content from the old to the new one!
- Can you help with Web Design, Development or UX for our Admin Console? No Erlang skills required! – Get in touch with us .
- Do you want to help moving the CouchDB docs translation forward? We’d love to have you in our L10n team! See our current status and languages we’d like to provide CouchDB docs in on this page . If you’d like to help, don’t hesitate to contact the L10n mailing list on email@example.com or ping Andy Wenk (awenkhh on IRC).
We’d be happy to welcome you on board!
- April 19, Hamburg, Germany: CouchDB Meetup Hamburg – “Workers of the Web, unite!”
- June 15, Minneapolis (MN), US: dev.OBJECTIVE – “Offline Survival in the Deadzone”
Job opportunities for people with CouchDB skills
- Principal Software Engineer , Annapolis Junction (MD), US
- Big Data Integration Developer , Tampa (FL), US
- Enterprise Reporting Cloud Software Developer , Los Angeles (CA), US
- Cloud Software Developer , Los Angeles (CA), US
- Senior Server Developer , Boulder (CO), US
- DevOps Engineer , Novi (MI), US
- Principal Software Engineer , Denver (CO), US
- Java Software Engineer , Denver (CO), US
- Software Design Engineer III , Washington, DC, US
- Senior Java Software Engineer , Denver (CO), US
- Early Career Front End Developer , Triangle (NC), US
- Scala/Java Backend Developer , Munich, Germany
- Senior Data Engineer , Portland (OR), US
- Product Engineer , Chicago (IL), US
Time to relax!
- “The GIF goes from a triangle to a square to a pentagon, hexagon and finally octagon before collapsing back in on itself and starting again to help you reach your moment of Zen. Sometimes that nice, deep breath is all you need to get refreshed and right back to work.” – Watch the soothing GIF that will help you relax in minutes
- “While it may be counterintuitive to look to the Internet for inner peace and relaxation, the growing popularity of ASMR and online fitness content proves viewers are using the web to better their physical and mental health. The medical community cites many potential health benefits from a regular meditation practice, such as anxiety relief, or reducing the risk of heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease.” – 5 meditation experts to relax with on YouTube
- “…living in such a connected world, we might have a hard time setting down our phones or otherwise pressing pause. The good news is that our phones can give us a brief sense of relief, too — a little bit of hand-held solace through relaxation and mood-lifting apps aimed toward improving our stress levels.” – Relax with an app: A handy set of hand-held tools to help you breathe
- “This is amazing at wasting time, and sure to get a few chuckles based on how absurd some images are in their Wikihow articles. It’s quite hard, given that the images tend make approximately 0 sense…” – This Stupidly Hilarious Game Asks You To Guess Wikihow Pages Based On An Image From It
- “The first time you meet someone, your first thought isn’t ‘How do they function?’ it’s ‘How do they make me feel?’ And when you’re asked about that person later, you describe their personality: ‘She’s relaxed, smart, witty. She makes me laugh.’” – The Future of Design is Emotional
… and also in the news
- Analyzing the Panama Papers with Neo4j: Data Models, Queries & More
- “I had so many advantages, and I barely made it”: Pinterest engineer on Silicon Valley sexism
- This guy’s hilarious story about a botched McDonald’s order is taking over the internet
- Build Your User Base with These Human Behavior Hacks
- Watch Conan O’Brien’s Hilarious K-Pop Video With The Walking Dead’s Steven Yeun
- Scientists Have No Explanation for This Mysterious Swarm of Thousands of Crabs