Employment Type: Full-time, permanent
The UK wholesale energy market is going through unprecedented change with rapid development of renewable energy technologies, the introduction of large scale battery storage and demand side response initiatives, and the roll-out of Smart meters into consumer’s home. These developments increase the complexity of trading and risk inherent in supplying energy to consumers. But they also create significant opportunities for agile market participants that are able to harness the burgeoning data flows and respond quickly to changes in customer demand and market signals. This role will be at the leading edge of the revolutionary changes that are starting to take place in the energy industry.
Your core challenge will be to automate trading administration and market risk management processes as part of Octopus Energy’s relentless drive to create a highly efficient platform. The scope of the role covers the full trade life cycle from demand forecasting through trade calculation and execution to recording and settling trades. Your work will contribute to the evolution of our procurement strategy as the business becomes larger and more complex.
Although the role will necessarily involve getting to grips with complex industry processes and language, prior experience in the industry is not a pre-requisite; we provide a supportive learning environment for those with the right inherent capabilities and motivation to succeed.
Carry out a number of tasks but simultaneously use Python, SQL, VBA or other appropriate methods to implement process automation, including:
- Using weather forecasts to produce forecasted output from renewable generation sites and forecasted customer usage
- Using forecast data and hedge position to produce trade proposals, minimising exposure to cash-out prices
- Producing proposals on quantity and timings of certificate purchases
- Trade capture and notification
- Regular reporting around forecast accuracy
- Validation of industry counterparty invoices (e.g. electricity transmission and distribution, imbalance costs, government schemes etc)
- Settlements analysis and risk reporting on meter read performance
- Use knowledge of invoice validation and wholesale traded position to assist in production of month-end gross margins and forward looking financial statements
- Assist with production of regular cashflow forecasts
- Contribute to the design and implementation of the ongoing procurement strategy
Skills and Qualifications
- Knowledge of Electricity and Gas wholesale markets would be an advantage but not essential
- Experience with Python, SQL and VBA with willingness to learn
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexibility to grow and adapt as the business grows
- Excellent command of standard IT applications, such as Word, Powerpoint and Excel
- Able to challenge with empathy and ‘muck in’ as required at times as we develop the business
How to apply:
Send us your C.V with a cover letter to talent[at]octopus[dot]energyDownload advert