Software Engineer - Mobile
At Magic Instruments, Inc., we are looking for a Unity developer who will help us to build our next generation of mobile products. You'll be responsible for developing new user-facing features in our flagship multi-platform mobile product. You'll work closely with our engineers, product, design and business teams to provide millions of users with a captivating, engaging and integrated mobile experience.
You are a smart, kind and unentitled team player who believes in winning as a team. You love technology and its ability to change the world. You take pride in providing customers with an exceptional user experience. You care deeply about design and getting the little things right. You thrive in an agile development process and in teams with constant and authentic communication. You don't just look for a job, you look for a company culture that will accelerate your growth at a personal as well as a professional level and teammates that will be life-long connections.
You will be expected to do:
- Work closely with a world class, all-star and a small close-knit team of engineers and product designers to build new features and products.
- Develop mobile apps for iOS and Android on the Unity3D mobile platform and integrate internal and external third party web based APIs for metrics and additional functionality.
- Be able to quickly prototype new ideas with data or interaction design.
- Help us scale the software stack as we grow with more features and more people.
- Work with and champion good software engineering practices and processes to build high quality software systems.
- Practice TDD and BDD and treat testing as much a part of your job as writing product features.
- Never settle for good enough, constantly push the limits of how impactful what you deliver is and have pride in your craft.
What we are looking for:
- Strong hands-on experience shipping production quality code and owning the process end to end from conceptualization to shipping mobile apps.
- Proficiency in building Unity based iOS and Android mobile apps.
- In-depth knowledge of object oriented programming and design patterns, algorithms, data structures and designing / consuming RESTful APIs.
- Experience working with software engineering best practices and processes.
- Familiarity with Core Data and SQLite and experience in working with systems with data sync capabilities between the mobile app and backend systems.
- Understanding of CAP theorem, distributed systems and eventual and strong consistency.
- Experience doing automated builds and testing mobile apps using technologies like Appium, Robotium, Espresso, Jenkins, etc.
- Extreme attention to detail, driving for pixel perfection.
- 5+ years of experience working in a mobile engineering role, post academia, working with C++ or such OOP programming language.
- 2+ years experience on a mobile (game) team with responsibility for major features.
- 1+ years experience developing with Unity3D and publishing to mobile platforms (iOS and/or Android)
- Engineering credit on at least one shipped commercial product.
- Academic background in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent work experience.
- Extensive experience and in-depth understanding of the BLE stack on multiple platforms.
- Experience working on a hardware + software / IoT product.
- Experience with graphics performance profiling and optimization.
- Metrics: Optimizely, Amplitude, Crashlytics, Mixpanel, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager Swagger, Protocol Buffers, Thrift, React Native, Gradle, Jenkins
- Ability to work on-site in our San Francisco, CA office.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
How to apply:
Along with a resume, please send a short note about you and why Magic Instruments is the right fit for you as well as some samples of your work / portfolio in the public domain, e.g. your github, stackoverflow usernames or such. Please do not send us any private or proprietary material.
About Magic Instruments, Inc:
Magic Instruments, Inc., graduates of Y Combinator (W2016) and Highway1, PCH's hardware startup accelerator (Fall 2015), designs the tools that allow anyone to express themselves by making music. Our mission is to create a world that inspires human connection through the power of self expression and music playing. We give people all the joy of playing music without learning traditional methods. We’re developing a new class of music instruments and the ecosystem around them, starting with our first product, a new type of guitar that anyone can play using an intuitive UI on the fretboard and a mobile app to play your favorite songs, instantly.
We are located in the sunny and vibrant Mission district in San Francisco and just one block away from BART, come join us!