- On .NET on SonarLint and SonarQube, Happy birthday .NET with Dan Fernandez, nopCommerce, Steve Gordon
- On .NET with Sidharth Gupta on Tizen, Happy birthday .NET with Bertrand Le Roy, JSON.NET 10, Gunnar Peipman
- Happy birthday .NET with Mads Torgersen, Coypu
.NET Framework 4.7
This week, we announced the release of the .NET Framework 4.7. We’ve added support for targeting the .NET Framework 4.7 in Visual Studio 2017, also updated today .
The .NET Framework 4.7 includes improvements in several areas:
- High DPI support for Windows Forms applications on Windows 10
- Touch support for WPF applications on Windows 10
- Enhanced cryptography support
- Performance and reliability improvements
You can see the complete list of improvements and the API diff in the .NET Framework 4.7 release notes .
Read the blog post: Announcing the .NET Framework 4.7 by Rich Lander.
New .NET reference documentation
Almost a year ago, we piloted the .NET Core reference documentation ondocs.microsoft.com. Today we are happy to announce our unified .NET API reference experience . We understand that developer productivity is key – from a hobbyist developer, to a startup, to an enterprise. With that in mind, we partnered closely with the Xamarin team to standardize how we document, discover, and navigate .NET APIs at Microsoft.
- Announcing a unified .NET reference experience on docs.microsoft.com by Jeff Sandquist.
- The new .NET reference documentation
Happy birthday .NET with Immo Landwerth
Back in February we threw a party for the 15th anniversary of .NET. We caught up with Immo Landwerth, a program manager on the .NET team at Microsoft, who joined Microsoft in 2010. He tells us about his journey from being a customer using .NET to an employee and the cultural changes he’s witnessed as .NET has moved to open source.
Tool of the week: JustAssembly
Read Stefan Stefanov’s blog post introducing the tool .
Meetups of the week: VS 2017, AppInsights, and IoT in Adelaide
- .NET Framework April 2017 Monthly Rollup by Rich Lander.
- Introducing Windows Forms HDPI Improvements in .NET Framework 4.7 by Stacey Haffner and Merrie McGaw.
- Contributing to Open-Source – My first Roslyn pull request – Getting the environment ready and Fixing the bug by Maxime Rouiller.
- MSTest V2 is open source by Pratap Lakshman.
- Installing Ubuntu 16.04 on a Raspberry Pi 3, installing .NET Core 2, and running a sample .NET Core 2 app by Jeremy Lindsay.
- Building a realtime server backend using the Orleans Actor system, Dotnet Core and Server-side Redux by Maarten Sikkema.
- Extending .NET CLI with custom tools – dotnet init initializes your NuGet package by Maarten Balliauw.
- RyuJIT and the never-ending ThreadAbortException by Christophe Nasarre and Kevin Gosse.
- [Webinar recording: Exploring .NET’s memory management](Why VB2017 only supports consuming ref returning methods) by Maarten Balliauw.
- Automapper for .NET Core by Jimmy Bogard.
- Implementing OpenID Implicit Flow using OpenIddict and Angular by Damien Bowden.
- Getting started with ASP.NET Core by Andrew Lock.
- JWT Validation and Authorization in ASP.NET Core by Jeffrey T. Fritz.
- Using Consul for Service Discovery with ASP.NET Core by Cecil Phillip.
- Adding favicons to your ASP.NET Core website with Real Favicon Generator by Andrew Lock.
- How to troubleshoot: “An error occurred while starting the application” in ASP.NET Core on IIS by Scott Sauber.
- Running multiple independent ASP.NET Core pipelines side by side in the same application by Filip W.
- ASP.NET Core Lazy Command Pattern by Muhammad Rehan Saeed.
- Alba 1.0 – Recipes for ASP.Net Core Integration Testing by Jeremy D. Miller.
- HTTP/2 with Server Push proof of concept for ASP.NET Core HttpSysServer by Tomasz Pęczek.
- Hosted ASP.NET Core builds with AppVeyor (video) by the ASP.NET Monsters.
- Micro-Benchmarking the Three Ways to Cast Safely by Daniel Crabtree.
- Is Operator Patterns – You won’t need ‘as’ as often by Daniel Crabtree.
- Dissecting Local Functions to understand how they capture local variables by Daniel Crabtree.
- Local Functions are Funcs too by Daniel Crabtree.
- Ref Returns, Ref Locals, and how to use them by Daniel Crabtree.
- Try catch, finally throw — or Exception Handling 101 for .NET by Alex Yakunin.
- Getting Started with .NET Core using F# (video) .
- Building a security testing service with F# (video) , by William Blum.
- Using F# to write serverless Azure functions , by Lee Stott.
- Gram Schmidt in FSharp , by Jeremy Bellows.
- Slack TypeProvider , by Flechner Romain.
- A Reusable ApiController Adapter , by Mark Seemann.
- Creating an Azure Functions solution diagram , by Mathias Brandewinder.
New F# Language Suggestions:
- Implicit interface implementation from an object expression
[<StructuralComparison>]for simple class types
Check out F# Weekly for more great content from the F# community.
- Why VB2017 only supports consuming ref returning methods by Anthony D. Green.
- Stable Release: 15.1 by Bri Brothers.
- Stable Release: Xamarin.Forms 126.96.36.199 by David Ortinau.
- Announcing Xamarin.Forms Stable Release 2.3.4 by David Ortinau.
- Announcing Xamarin’s Xcode 8.3 Support by Miguel de Icaza.
- Securing Web Requests with TLS 1.2 by James Montemagno.
- Spring into April with Xamarin Developer Events by Jayme Singleton.
- Snack Pack 9: Installing Xamarin for Visual Studio 2017 by The Xamarin Show.
- Xamarin.Controls – Xamarin.Forms PinView by Alex Dunn.
- Xamarin.Tips – Restrict the Length of Your Entry Text by Alex Dunn.
- Xamarin.Tips – Sending Authorized SignalR Requests by Alex Dunn.
- Launching A Mobile App Via A URI Scheme by Adam Pedley.
- MFractor – Productivity tools for Xamarin Studio by Adam Pedley.
- Persist Whatever You Want With Xamarin.Forms by Matthew Soucoup.
- Set alternate app icons in iOS using Xamarin by Marco Kuiper.
- Validate input in Xamarin.Forms using INotifyDataErrorInfo, Behaviors, Effects, and Prism by Davide Zordan.
- Solution: Xamarin.Forms Intellisense not working by Subramanyam Raju.
- DocumentDB Transactions from .NET by Derek Comartin.
- Blue Green Deployments with Azure – The Simple way by Faesel Saeed.
- Announcing UWP Community Toolkit 1.4 by David Catuhe.
- ICYMI – Your weekly TL;DR By the Windows Apps Team.
- Managing Windows IoT Core devices with Azure IoT Hub By Artur Laksberg.
- New Share Experience in Windows 10 Creators Update By Juan Sebastian Oviedo.
- Updating your tooling for Windows 10 Creators Update By Clint Rutkas.
- Windows 10 Creators Update and Creators Update SDK are Released By Kevin Gallo.
- Step by step: Couchbase with .Net Core by Carlos Mendible.
- Using ElasticSearch, Kibana, ASP.NET Core and Docker to Discover and Visualize data by Daniel Jimenez Garcia.
- Avoid Lazy Loading Entities in ASP.NET Applications by Steve Smith.
- Ludum Dare 38 Theme Slaughter .
- [MineCraft] It’s time to discover… Marketplace! .
- How Firewatch’s UI enhances immersion by Abhishek Iyer.
- The Job Simulator Postmortem by lexander Schwartz and Devin Reimer
- ‘Make me think, make me move’: New Doom’s deceptively simple design by Kris Graft.
- 11.5 Unity Tower defense tutorial – Frost and Storm debuffs by inScope Studios.
- [Unity 5.5] Tutorial: How to create a Pickable Object by Gamad.
- Getting Started with MonoGame using 2D by Simon “Darkside” Jackson.
And this is it for this week!
Contribute to the week in .NET
As always, this weekly post couldn’t exist without community contributions, and I’d like to thank all those who sent links and tips. The F# section is provided by Phillip Carter , the gaming section by Stacey Haffner , and the Xamarin section by Dan Rigby , and the UWP section by Michael Crump .
You can participate too. Did you write a great blog post, or just read one? Do you want everyone to know about an amazing new contribution or a useful library? Did you make or play a great game built on .NET?
We’d love to hear from you, and feature your contributions on future posts:
- Send an email to beleroy at Microsoft,
- comment on this gist
- Leave us a pointer in the comments section below.
- Send Stacey (@yecats131) tips on Twitter about .NET games .